Basswood Shutter Maintenance
Real basswood shutters are a great investment for your home and with proper maintenance they can last a lifetime. Maintaining basswood shutters is relatively easy, but does require some attention to detail. Here are some tips for keeping your basswood shutters like new:
- Regularly dust the louvers to prevent the buildup of dirt and grime
- Spot clean stubborn stains or marks with a damp cloth or sponge, do not use abrasive cleaners
- Avoid prolonged exposure to moisture, always thoroughly dry shutters if they get wet
- Regularly check for damage and have a professional repair any issues
How Long Do Basswood Shutters Last?
With proper care and maintenance, basswood shutters can last for many years. Basswood is known for its durability and longevity and can last 10-20 years or more. The lifespan largely depends on quality and how well they are cared for. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prolong the life of your basswood shutters for years to come.
How to Clean Basswood Shutters
Cleaning basswood shutters is fairly simple and easy.
- Dust the louvers with a soft cloth or duster
- Fill a bucket with warm water and a few drops of dish soap
- Dip a cloth or sponge in the bucket and wring it out well, it should be damp but not soaking wet
- Gently wipe down the louvers with the cloth or sponge
- Use a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess moisture
- Avoid using any abrasive cleaners or chemicals that may damage your basswood shutters
Can You Paint Basswood Shutters?
Yes, basswood shutters can be painted or stained to match your style and home decor. Basswood is a great material for painting as it has a smooth surface and takes paint well. It is important to first clean the surface and apply a primer before painting. This ensures the paint adheres properly and will last for a lifetime.